As an industry body that is the voice of the metals and engineering sector, SEIFSA engages with various stakeholders in Government, business and labour, among others, to represent the interests of its members and the industry as a whole. Based on an impeccable track record driven by cumulative decades of experience, SEIFSA continues to increase value for all those it represents, ensuring an amicable business environment and further enhancing opportunities in the sector.
With regards to implementing the advocacy strategy, SEIFSA operates on the following levels:
1. National level
SEIFSA’s management team represents employers’ associations, as the recognised voice of the metal and engineering industry, on a number of organisations that are critical to the success of the industry as a whole including:
- Business Unity South Africa (Busa)
- Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA)
- Electricity Intensive Users Forum
- Eskom Task Group on Electricity
- Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Seta (merSETA)
- Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council (MEIBC)
- Metal Industries Benefit Funds Administrators (Mibfa)
- National Economic, Development and Labour Council (Nedlac)
- Technical Sectoral Liaison Committee on Trade Agreements of Nedlac
- South African Institute of Iron and Steel Downstream Development Committee
- Nedlac’s Fund for Research into Industrial Development, Growth and Equity Committee
- Institute of Safety Management
SEIFSA, through its membership of these bodies, has over the years positively influenced legislation and policy affecting labour relations, skills development as well as economic and trade matters.
2. Industry level
At industry level, SEIFSA negotiates collective agreements covering wages and conditions of employment with the trade unions. The Federation also represents employers on the boards of the Engineering Industries Pension Fund, the Metal Industries Provident Fund, the Metal and Engineering Industries Permanent Disability Scheme, the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council Sick Pay Fund, the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council and the Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Seta (merSETA).