About the Webinar
The workshop will look at the main absenteeism issues affecting the health of your company, namely:
• How to manage sick leave utilisation / abuse
• Do you need to recognise traditional healers?
• What constitutes a valid sick note and when can I insist upon one?
• What disciplinary action can be taken to deal with unauthorised absence?
• What constitutes authorised versus unauthorised absence?
• How does unauthorised absence affect the leave and leave enhancement pay?
• This workshop will provide you with guidelines to effectively manage these issues on a daily basis.
Michael Lavender joined SEIFSA in 1991 as an Industrial Relations Advisor, after two and a half years in the mining industry in the position of an Industrial Relations Advisor. He has held various positions within the Industrial Relations Division, including Senior Industrial Relations Advisor, Industrial Relations Services Training Manager, and was appointed to the position of Industrial Relations Manager in 2013.
Providing key Industrial relations consultancy and training services, Michael holds:
• a Bachelor of Social Sciences degree, majoring in Industrial Psychology and Economics from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, formerly the University of Natal,
• a Personnel Management Trainee Programme from Rand Mines,
• a Certificate Programme in Industrial Relations (CPIR) from the University of the Witwatersrand’s Graduate School of Public and Development Management (Wits Business School), and
• An Expert Negotiator Certificate issued by the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS).
In addition, Michael is the Lift and Escalator Employer spokesperson for the Lift negotiations.
He is also a representative at the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council.
He has gained extensive knowledge and experience and daily duties include but are not limited to, advising and training companies on the Main Agreement and labour law, chairing hearings in the areas of disciplinary, incapacity, grievance. Representing various companies in retrenchment consultations and other industrial relations matters such as disputes and industrial action, as well as at the CCMA and the MEIBC Bargaining Council at conciliation and arbitration.
Who should attend?
- Project Managers
- Contract Managers
- Operations Managers
- IT Managers, Sales Managers
- Procurement personnel
The webinar will cover
- How to effectively manage sick leave thereby minimising sick leave abuse
- How to identify and manage fraudulent medical certificates
- How to discipline employees who abuse sick leave
- Understand the issues surrounding traditional healers and paid sick leave
Tel: 086 173 4372