About the training
All companies are now formed and governed within the framework of the Companies Act 71 of 2008. To varying degrees, companies also have to comply with various codes including the King IV Code on Corporate Governance and an ever-growing amount of legislation.
The training will focus on practical issues relating to the Companies Act, including items of relevance to directors, senior management, shareholders, legal advisers, accountants and persons who attend to company secretarial functions.
The training aims to provide participants with the knowledge needed to make informed corporate governance decisions.
The training will cover:
- the concept and implementation of corporate governance;
- important aspects relating to the roles, rights and responsibilities of the board of directors, senior management and shareholders;
- liability of directors and prescribed officers;
- directors’ remuneration;
- shareholders and their rights, responsibilities and actions;
- company secretarial rights and responsibilities, notices, minutes and resolutions;
- protection and disclosure of information in terms of various legislative instruments;
- the regulatory environment that companies function in and important aspects of financial reporting;
- monitoring risk, compliance and unlawful activities;
- ethics; and
- issues concerning takeovers, mergers, acquisitions and restructuring.
Louwressè Specht is SEIFSA’s Acting Industrial Relations and Legal Services Executive. She holds an LLB from the North West University and an MBA from North West University Business School. She was previously employed as group legal counsel in the road freight, logistics and commodity trading industry, where her duties included compliance management, IR management, employment law matters, commercial law matters and company secretarial duties. She has also practised as an attorney, specialising in corporate law, commercial litigation and trial advocacy.
Vuyiswa Miya is Industrial Relations and Legal Services Manager at SEIFSA. She has extensive experience as an Admitted Attorney and has worked for various law firms handling matters pertaining to contractual disputes, drafting contracts, providing legal advice, appearing in the CCMA and bargaining councils, prosecuting and chairing disciplinary hearings. She holds an LLB degree and a Postgraduate Diploma in Labour Law, both from the University of Johannesburg.
Tel: 011 298 9400