The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) has a
vacancy for a Chief Economist, who will be the authoritative voice on the economics of
the metals and engineering sector and its sub-industries. The successful candidate will
be an articulate and sociable woman or man of integrity who is a reliable team player.
S/he will have:
- Thorough understanding of macro and monetary economics, econometrics and
- Interest in economic and sector analysis and policy matters of the real economy;
Familiarity with econometric packages and survey techniques;
An ability to interact with industry leaders and policy makers at all levels;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel); and
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
The Chief Economist has responsibilities for:
- Provision of sectoral macroeconomic analysis for the metals and engineering sector;
- Industrial policy research, analysis and formulation;
- Lobbying all tiers of government, policy makers, State-Owned Entities and other business organisations on various initiatives that influence the sector;
- Assisting individual companies, on a consultancy basis, with economic assessments and planning during their annual strategy sessions;
- Attending monthly meetings of member Associations to report and present on
economic trends in the sector;
- Providing economic commentary on all media platforms on matters relating to the
metals and engineering sector;
- Publishing a minimum of four opinion pieces in the mainstream media, on economic
matters, each financial year;
- Management of and accountability for the performance of the Economic and
Commercial Division, which entails directing the Division’s research agenda and
revenue generation from various service offerings;
- Managing and mentoring the Economist and the Statistics Officer who constitute the staff complement of the Economic and Commercial Division;
- Occasionally facilitating various training workshops and seminars offered by the Economic and Commercial Division; and
- Membership of the Executive Committee.
A dependable, pro-active person who delivers solid results and leads by example, the
Chief Economist will be a person of integrity and a dependable team player. S/he will:
- At least 10 years’ experience as an Economist;
- Hold a Master’s degree in Economics;
- Be highly articulate, with good command of the English language and good writing skills;
- Have good interpersonal skills; and Fully subscribe to and live SEIFSA’s Corporate Values (Integrity, Diversity, Excellence, Stewardship, Passion, Innovation).
A transformed organisation, SEIFSA is committed to excellence and professionalism and will appoint the best possible candidate for the job.
Familiarity with the metals and engineering sector will be an advantage. The ideal candidate will have reasonable familiarity the metals and engineering sector and its sub-
The Chief Economist will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Interested individuals should send their CVs to Sumaya@seifsa.co.za