Job Role Name
Tool Room Manager
• Trade Tested Tool Maker (Qualified)
• Any Management certification or qualification an advantage
• A minimum of 10 years’ total experience in the tool-making field, 5 years in a related managerial role.
• Specific combined experience preferred:
o Platework, injection moulding (plastic and/or rubber), forging, casting (ferrous and/or non-ferrous
• Experience in the electrical power transmission and distribution industry a distinct advantage.
Key Skills and Knowledge Required
• Design project engineering and management in relation to tooling and other machining projects
• Legal knowledge required (as amended):
o Basic Understanding of South African Labour Laws
• Personnel Management
• ISO 9001 Quality Management Standard and related systems
• Project Management – Intermediate to Advanced Level
• Microsoft Office: Projects, PowerPoint, Excel and Word – Intermediate to Advanced Level
• ERP understanding – basic Level
• Mastercam or CATIA programming – Intermediate to Advanced.
• SolidWorks – Intermediate to Advanced.
• CurroQuip Job Management System – Intermediate to Advanced.
• Through the utilisation of the tooling engineering team, provide leadership in the development of tooling and machined products/components.
• Through the utilisation of resource management tools, ensure that the tooling engineering team’s activities are in line with the overall company strategic objectives with regards to the tool room.
• Department lead in Coaching and Mentorship of employees in the Tool Room department including Apprentice Tool Makers in training.
• New tooling: designing, draughting, programming, planning and execution of all new tooling projects – within cost, time and scope of work limitations.
• Maintenance of existing tooling: assessment and repairs of all tools used at the company premises, within time, cost and production output constraints in the Operations department.
• Jigs and Fixtures: Ensure that supporting jigs and fixtures are in line with product design and manufacturing requirements specifications for output production.
• Information management: Ensure that a data library is created and well managed to keep all information related to the company intellectual property with tool room work.
• Periodic technical and management reporting are a requirement for the job role, details of which will be provided by the GM Technology.
• Assist the Quality department in the reduction of production waste throughout the factory; by the design and manufacture of related gauges for quality control and manufacturing process stability.
• Assist with guidelines during the supplier qualification and audit processes for outsourced supply of products and components related to tooling.
Sales and Marketing:
• Outwork estimation and execution for external customers requiring utilising our tooling facility, while maintaining costs allocated and timeline restrictions.
• Project estimations for bidding purposes on future projects.