As we prepare our workplaces to a return to work under Alert Level 4, we must keep in mind that we are subject to:
- strict health protocols, and social distancing rules;
- return to work to be phased in to enable measures to make the workplace COVID-ready; and
- return to work to be done in a manner that avoids and reduces risks of infection.
ANNEXURE E OF THE REGULATION REFERS TO A WORKPLACE PLAN NEEDING TO BE DEVELOPED PRIOR TO THE REOPENING OF AN ENTERPRISE EMPLOYING PERSONS
For small businesses, the plan can be basic reflecting the size of the business, while for medium and larger businesses, a more detailed written plan should be developed given the larger numbers of persons at the workplace.
The Plan for medium and large businesses must include the following:
- the date the business will open and the hours of opening;
- the timetable setting out the phased return-to-work of employees, to enable appropriate measures to be taken to avoid and reduce the spread of the virus in the workplace;
- the steps taken to get the workplace COVID-19 ready;
- a list of staff who can work from home; staff who are 60 years or older; and staff with comorbidities who will be required to stay at home or work from home;
- arrangements for staff in the establishment:
- sanitary and social distancing measures and facilities at the entrance and exit to the workplace;
- screening facilities and systems;
- the attendance-record system and infrastructure;
- the work-area of employees;
- any designated area where the public is served;
- canteen and bathroom facilities;
- testing facilities (for establishments with more than 500 employees); and
- staff rotational arrangements (for establishments where fewer than 100% of employees will be permitted to work).*Arrangements for customers or members of the public, including sanitation and social distancing measures.
Please find attached a base Workplace Readiness COVID-19 Policy and Procedure. We urge you to add, amend and/or customise the draft so that it reflects the unique operational and business realities of your business.