Transformed Companies In The Metals And Engineering Sector To Be Celebrated
JOHANNESBURG, 6 APRIL 2017 – The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) is calling on companies that have embraced transformation in the metals and engineering sector to enter for the Most Transformed Company of the Year category of the SEIFSA Awards for Excellence.
The accolade is awarded to the most transformed company in terms of the composition of its Board of Directors, Executive Management and Management Team in the year 2016.
“Transformation is very important for South Africa’s future and sustainability. Companies in the sector are transforming, but the pace is not what it is supposed to be. We seek to celebrate exemplary companies that reflect the diversity of our democratic country,” said SEIFSA Chief Executive Officer Kaizer Nyatsumba.
The winning company will be celebrated during an annual gala dinner to be held on 25 May 2017 at the IDC Conference Centre in Sandton, Johannesburg. The prestigious award will be among others to be bestowed on metals and engineering sector companies as part of the annual SEIFSA Awards for Excellence.
Entries for the awards close on 13 April 2017 for all categories.
The Most Transformed Company of the Year is split into two by company size: the first one covers companies employing few than 100 people and the second one looks at companies employing more than 100 people. This ensures that companies are judged against their peers to encourage fairness.
The general criteria for the category include companies that:
- Highlight how empowerment has been successfully implemented in their skills and development programmes;
- Show in statistics how they have adopted development and use of third-party suppliers from black-owned businesses;
- List how the corporate culture of diversity has been communicated throughout the workforce;
- Statistical information on the company’s Board, Executive Management and Senior Leadership against total the workforce to that of the country’s national population demographics.
The Federation, which launched the SEIFSA Awards for Excellence in 2015, has invited manufacturers operating in the metals and engineering sector within the Southern African region to submit their entries for the 2017 Awards. Entrants will be assessed on their performance in the period 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016.
Mr Nyatsumba said although the metals and engineering sector was faced with many challenges and uncertainty in 2016, nevertheless there were companies that still managed to excel under these difficult circumstances.
Along with the Most Transformed Company of the Year Award, the SEIFSA Awards for Excellence have six other categories.
The other categories are:
- The Most Innovative Company of the Year Award, which is awarded to a company that has shown the best level of innovation in Research and Development or Production in 2016, in the process either gaining market advantage or reducing production costs;
- The Health and Safety Award of the Year, which will be offered to a company with the best legal compliance record in Health and Safety or the lowest Lost-Time Injury Frequency Rate in 2016;
- Companies rated the highest in customer service performance in 2016 will
receive the Customer Service Award of the Year;
- Entries are also invited from companies whose Corporate Social Investment
(CSI) programme/s in 2016 had a major impact on the lives of their beneficiaries;
- This is the Decade of the Artisan, and an award will be made to the company that trained the highest number of artisans in 2016; and
- The Environment Stewardship Award will go to a company that has made the best strides towards conserving the environment or mitigating the impact of its operations on the environment in 2016.
Mr Nyatsumba has encouraged manufacturers operating in the metals and engineering sector to submit their entries for the seven categories as soon as possible. The Awards are open to all companies in the sector, both SEIFSA members and non-members.
For more information or to enter for the awards, please contact our Sales and Communications Manager, Ms Nuraan Alli, on